Ahead of MWC Las Vegas, we sat down with Richard Cockle, Global Head of Identity, IoT and Big Data at the GSMA
Tell us, what is Industry City?
We are excited to be back - bringing Industry City to MWC Las Vegas! Located on the ground floor of the Exhibition Hall, Industry City is an area dedicated to unlocking the power of industries and showcases the latest in mobile technology. Industry City Stage, located at Booth 310, will host leaders for an engaging agenda of keynotes and panel sessions exploring the most pressing issues facing our spotlight verticals.
Not only this, but visitors will also be able to witness first-hand the connectivity solutions on show at exhibitor booths through immersive and experiential demos.
Are any new features being brought to the MWC Las Vegas edition of Industry City?
Taking place in the entertainment capital of the world, we are thrilled to be unveiling an all-new Summit dedicated to Sports & Entertainment created especially for MWC Las Vegas.
The US is home to many of the largest and most iconic venues in the world and, with the Formula 1 Heineken Silver Las Vegas Grand Prix coming to the city in November 2023 and the Allegiant Stadium hosting the Big Game in February 2024, there really is no better time to debut the Summit than at MWC Las Vegas.
Whether it’s mobile ticketing, cashless payments, real-time information on queue lengths, crowd participation, or player cams that provide closer-to-action views, technology is now infusing every aspect of the fan experience in sports and entertainment.
As part of the Summit, we will be hosting three speaker sessions on day one of the event at the Industry City Stage. Talks will explore how mobile connectivity is helping to create world-class experiences for fans and supporting the world’s biggest events. We cannot wait to welcome speakers to the Industry City stage from the likes of Ai-Fi, AT&T, Caesars Entertainment, Dish Wireless, Fox Sports, JMA Wireless, the Las Vegas Raiders, the Los Angeles Rams, NTT, Wicket and Verizon.
Visitors will have plenty to see off of the stage as well, and the new space will showcase how North America is leading the charge in creating memorable moments through technologies such as AR and VR. This will include case studies from the biggest payers in sports and entertainment, including the Las Vegas Raiders, who will share insights on the partnerships facilitating these experiences, the impact for fans and guests, and the value created for owners of the event spaces.
What other industries will be in the spotlight at Industry City?
In addition to our Sports & Entertainment Summit, we will also be bringing back familiar favorites from MWC Barcelona with tracks dedicated to Manufacturing, Smart Mobility and FinTech – including on-stage keynotes and demos on the exhibition floor.
Mobile technologies are having an unprecedented impact on each of these verticals, and we will see the following themes explored on the Industry City Stage:
- Smart Mobility (day 2)
- The industry’s transition to sustainable transport methods.
- The technological advancements facilitating unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) operations.
- The integration of drones into our airspace and the regulatory considerations involved.
- Manufacturing (day 2)
- The rise of private 5G networks in manufacturing and what successful partnerships and deployments look like.
- A deep dive into the 5G mobile technologies delivering exciting change in the industrial workplace, supporting worker safety and training such as Digital TwinsAI and Machine Learning.
- FinTech (day 3)
- The industry’s fast-paced responses using innovative solutions such as advanced AI, and biometrics against the evolving fraud threat landscape. The new age of digital transformation in FinTech as the industry looks to unlock the value of new trends and seamless experiences
- The role of mobile in helping banks create new solutions to capture value from new market opportunities.
Why is Industry City so important to MWC?
Telecoms is now a horizontal industry that partners with every other industry, and testament to this is the diverse profile of attendees at MWC. Each year, we are lucky enough to welcome leaders not just from the mobile industry, but also representatives of the technology, manufacturing, retail, financial services, and entertainment sectors, among others.
Not only this, but our Mobile Economy Report reveals just how crucial mobile connectivity is, and will continue to be, for the products, services and systems of every other vertical. For example, the report found that the mobile industry will contribute more than $6 trillion to the global economy in 2030 and that $1 trillion will be generated by 5G alone – of which the services (46%) and manufacturing (33%) industries will be the primary beneficiaries.
It’s therefore only natural that MWC features a space showcasing how connected technologies are breaking boundaries in industries adjacent to mobile.
Are there any demos you are particularly excited to see?
We’ll be demonstrating many of the technology advancements discussed at Industry City over in our Foundry Innovation Showcase at the GSMA Pavilion. These include:
- 5G Saves Live – an immersive demo, with Bewhere and Bell, showing how future 5G vehicle-to-everything (V2X) technology could reduce accidents and fatalities at intersections for university campus bike-share users.
- GSMA | MWC Las Vegas 2023 - GSMA Foundry Innovation Showcase - GSMA Foundry
How do I register to attend Industry City at MWC Las Vegas?
Industry City is a must-attend space for anybody looking to discover the key themes impacting the future of connected industries, see live connectivity demos for themselves, or network with global decision-makers in mobile and adjacent industries.
The space is open to every attendee at MWC Las Vegas, so what are you waiting for? We look forward to seeing you there! Register for your pass here.